Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Mansion by Henry Van Dyke


Today I began my Christmas season reading with, "The Mansion," a short story by Henry Van Dyke. I savored the tale of the fictional character, John Weightman, a "solid, correct, and justly successful" pillar of the community. One night he dreams that he passes to the afterlife and joins a group of saintly men and women heading for their mansions in the heavenly community.
I very much enjoyed both the rich literary style and the poignant message of this book. For me, the resounding theme was that of motivation. Why do we serve? Do we do good for earthly rewards or for the true love of others? As I read I pondered my own reasons for helping others. Sometimes I serve for the right reasons; others I don't. In fact there are times when I feel as if I am serving for all but the right reasons. This season I hope to make love for others and the Lord be my guiding motivation in all I do. I'm sure I won't be entirely successful, but hopefully I will be able to make my heart a little more in line with the Lord's will.

1 comment:

  1. yay! first comment! you rock :) this helped me understand this a lot more.

    ReplyDelete