Sunday, December 12, 2010

Christopher Lowell's Seven Layers of Organization

I recently read Christopher Lowell's Seven Layers Of Organization. To give some personal background, a few years ago, I became very interested (ie. obsessed) with decluttering/organization. I checked out a zillion books from the library and poured intently over them, gleaning many great ideas that I was able to utilize in my own home.

Then, about six months ago, I was asked to teach a R.S. class on the topic. I was thrilled! Really!!! Although I don't normally seek out teaching experiences, when the subject is one near and dear to my heart, I welcome the opportunity to share my knowledge and passion. So...back into my home came all the library books, which I re-read and reviewed to find helpful ideas to share with the wonderful sisters in my ward. My presentation went well, but in the months following I was a bit burnt out on the subject of decluttering...

My feelings changed about a week ago, when I discovered Christopher's Lowell's new book. I've always adored his design ideas, but have mixed reviews on this book. On the topic of purging excess possessions, he added nothing new or insightful on the subject. His ideas were very basic and less noteworthy than those found in other sources. However, as always, his decorating ideas were brilliant. He supplies the reader with fabulous ideas on attractive storage options, homemade bookshelves, and effective room design. And his book is complete with beautiful photographs of before and after pictures.

So, in a nutshell, if you are searching for a book to help you get rid of your excess junk, move on. If you are looking for a book to help you store your stuff in an attractive manner, this is the right one for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment