Monday, December 6, 2010

I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day

As I turned on the radio this morning, I was met with the strains of "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day."

This popular Christmas Carol is based on the poem, "Christmas Bells," by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. In the years following his wife's tragic death in a fire, Wadsworth experienced a period of deep melancholy.

The American Civil War broke out that same year, adding to Wadsworth sense of sadness and unrest. In December 1863, Wadsworth learned that his son, Charles Appleton Longfellow, had been severely wounded while serving in the Union Army. During the midst of all this trajedy, Wadsworth sat down and penned his classic poem. As Wadsworth hears the pealing of the church bells, he realizes that although his life and world may be in turmoil, the peace and love of Christmas and The Savior would always prevail.

This Christmas season, I am particularly grateful for the birth, life, and sacrifce of Jesus Christ. During my own periods of trajedy and turmoil, He has blessed me with an overwhelming sense of His peace and His love. How grateful I am for Him and for this beautiful Christmas season!


No comments:

Post a Comment