Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Lesson Learned

Over the past few years I have learned a valuable lesson. The scriptures teach, "By their works ye shall know them." I had always known and believed that passage, but had never accepted its full message. For some reason I had always mistakenly believed that,"By their works ye shall know yourself."

If someone treated me badly or made poor choices I took responsibility for those actions and concluded that if I were just a better person they would treat me better. Yet, through this scripture and other experiences, I have come to know that other people's actions are about who they are, not who I am. The Savior, the only perfect being to walk the face of the earth, was mocked, scourged, and crucified. Yet, he never took it personally. He always knew it was about them, their sins and weaknesses, not His.

Changing my mindset has been a journey. Sometimes it is difficult to remember the lesson I have learned, yet the spirit helps me and strengthens my resolve to take accountabilty for my own choices and no one elses, to judge myself by who I am, not by how others may treat me. This journey has been difficult and painful at times, but I am emerging a stronger and happier person.

No comments:

Post a Comment