Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Tried in All Things

Last night for Family Home Evening, we watched the short movie, "Tried in All Things," in which President Gordon B. Hinckley tells the story of three young men who rescued the suffering pioneers of the Martin and Willie handcourt companies.

I've heard the story countless times, but it never fails to leave me choked up. There are many stories of heroism, suffering, and sacrifice, but this one is particularly meaningful to me. Maybe it's the fact that I hate cold water with a passion and can't imagine voluntarily crossing an icy river over and over. Or maybe it's the fact that the boys were only eighteen and ultimately sacrificed their lives. Whatever the reason, this story holds a special place in my heart. I hope that I can someday hear this account and know of a surety that in their place, I would do the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment