Monday, March 28, 2011

Reading with Kevin

I have a wide variety of interests, most of which I enjoy sharing either through conversation or blogging. However, one notable exception, is my religious insights, feelings, and experiences. Those are very private for me and I rarely discuss them with anyone unless I am teaching a lesson. However, recently I had an experience that gave me pause. A sister I was visiting teaching mentioned that she had read an article about how a lot of missionary work was being done through blogging. I've thought a lot about her words since and decided that I need to share more of my spiritual insights in my blog. Of course, I am still of the belief that many experiences and impressions are far too sacred to share. Those I will keep private. But I am going to try to be more open about others and write more posts of a spiritual nature. So here goes.... Each morning I have my kids do their daily reading before they go to school, and this morning was no exception. When I asked Kevin, my five-year-old to go choose a book, I expected him to bring back, "Brown Bear, Brown Bear, What do you see?" his current favorite book, but instead he brought back this book: and this one I was pleasantly surprised. We first opened the "Tell Me the Stories of Jesus" book. Someone, my mom I think, had given it to us for Christmas, but we hadn't read it yet. Kevin really enjoyed it because it had pull-the-tab, lift-the-flap, and turn the wheel acitivities. What kid doesn't enjoy those?!! However, he also liked it because he loves learning about Jesus. He often tells me that he loves Jesus even more than he loves me, and that makes me happy. Next, we turned to the Book of Mormon. At our primary "Scripture Power" activity back in February we gave each primary child their own mini Book of Mormon. The primary children, including my own, all seem to love them. I asked Kevin what story he wanted to read in the Book of Mormon and he requested the story about Jesus and the children. So we turned to 3 Nephi:17 and read part of the account of Jesus and the children. To be honest, at that point Kevin was still pretty distracted by all the tabs, flaps, and wheels of the other book, but I still enjoyed having the experience with him. And yes, we do have family scripture study, so studying the scriptures with my children wasn't an unfamiliar activity, but studying one-on-one was and Kevin and I both really enjoyed it. I am so grateful that I am able to raise my kids with the knowledge of the Savior and His restored gospel.

1 comment: